'shroom soup


My picky toddler likes mushrooms believe it or not. (must be the butter I usually cook them in!) This goes well with some bread for them to dip into the soup for those who aren't as handy with a spoon. Bibs highly recommended, including one for yourself. I've made mushroom soup with elaborate recipes before and this is the simplified version.

slug of olive oil
1 large red onion (I just like red the best but you can use whatever is handy)
bag of mushrooms (I usually use cremini but will mix it up depending on what I have)
dried mushrooms (rarely do I use them, I once bought some from Whole Foods and didn't realize until I got home that I paid $80 for a package! "who do you think you are, Ivanka Trump?" thankfully the Mr. returned them for me but will never let me live it down!)
3 tablespoons butter
4-5 cups organic chicken/veggie stock
thyme (dried but will use fresh in the summer!)

this is the stock I use- I go thru ALOT of it and it also comes in vegetable as well.

Using a high sided pot, saute you sliced onions in a little olive oil until transparent around edges on low heat about 8 minutes. Melt your butter than add 'shrooms stirring with wooden spoon so mushrooms all get a little time on bottom of pan browning. Sprinkle in your thyme. Stir every couple of minutes for about 8 minutes- I also like to gently break up my shrooms a little as I stir to speed it up. Next add your stock, bring to a boil then turn down to a simmer. Let it simmer for at least 5 minutes. At this point I blend it, you could add cream if you like or leave it as is and of course season. Ever since I picked up a Magic Bullet I've been loving it. Mostly I use it grind my coffee beans but for soups it's great. I once burned my arms blending hot soup and I don't want to mention the mess I had to get off the ceiling! Some people use a little handheld job to blend but I must say the seal tight bullet is awesome. I can't blend it all at the same time so I do it in 2-3 batches. I like this soup a bit chunky anyways.. To serve I like a little goat cheese sprinkled on top. This is easy and yum, can usually get it on the table in 30 min sometimes less.

No comments: