Deja's 3rd Birthday Cake


So, I know the bar has been raised pretty high when it comes to birthday cakes and I for one have been much to tired/busy to bother trying to reach it. These cakes may look complicated but alas dear friends, hate to admit it but they were dead easy and tasted amazing. I thought two would be enough for the huge crowd we had over (around 60) because normally not everyone eats cake right? Wrong, everybody (well mostly everybody) had to try some and I'm sorry to those who went home without.

Hear is the big secret;

In my opinion, angle food cake is pointless to make from scratch and I love the Robin Hood brand and so does my sister. I did make the sauce to be drizzeld on and it was super easy, I'll tell you how! Angel food cake takes about 50 min to bake so there's lots of time to make a quick sauce.

In a sauce pan cut up about 2 cups of strawberries or whatever fruit your using. If fresh add a little water and I like to add a complimentary liqueur for extra flavour like limioncella with strawberries, chambord with blueberries or raspberries. If you don't haave any kicking around no worries, you could add some lemon zest or play around a bit with what you have, just as long as there;s not too much liquid. One time I added lemonade with strawberries and no water and it turned out quite nice. It's not necessary to but it sure does punch up the flavour, also if not adding a liqueur, you might want to add a tblespn or two of sugar, just keep trying it as you go. You could also use frozen fruit. Bring to a boil then simmer for about 15 minutes. Let cool then blend (either in a blender or use a hand blender). Put back on stove, bring to a simmer and let simmer on low heat for about 15 min again. And of course, lots of whip cream! In no time everyone will be uuing and awing over a cake that hardly messed up any pots.

No comments: