revised bread pudding


For the last month or so I have been baking all our whole wheat bread (a future post to come!) Sound ambitious? It's actually been all right, I've just had to be organized about it and having a mixer with dough hook makes it simple. Anyhoo, I decided to try a bread pudding recipe of my own out with some left over bread and it was a success! I used the recipe I posted before with a few changes and an addition of an oatmeal crust and cut up apple so it was a cross between apple crisp and bread pudding. Yum.

1/2 loaf whole wheat bread (the loafs I make are huge)
2 large apples cored and cut into chunks (could use raisins, cranberries or whatever fruit you've got hanging around)
1/2 cup brown sugar
3 large eggs, beaten
2 cups milk
2 tablespoons vanilla extract (I used vanilla bean and it was amazing, when I tried this without, the vanilla extract was a little much)
2 teaspoon ground cinnamon

Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease with butter 3-quart casserole dish.
Butter both sides of bread slices, place on tin foil, and put into oven. Toast slices on both sides. (must admit I didn;t butter vut I did skice bead and toast a little.)
If using, place raisins in bowl of hot water to plump. Cover, soak for 20 minutes, and drain.
Combine sugar, eggs, milk, vanilla extract, and cinnamon. Mix well. Let this mixture get to room temp or gently heat.
Break up toasted bread, and put in casserole dish. Add apple. Pour egg mixture over bread, and stir. It's a good idea to let this soak in while you go about the topping. Give it a good stir before you add topping mixture.

for topping
1/2 cup butter
1/4 cup white sugar
1/4 brown sugar
1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup quick cook oats
pinch salt

cream butter with sugar then add flour oats and salt mixing until its a course, pebbly mixture. Don't over mix. Sprinkle the topping over bread pudding and bake in oven at 350 for 40 minutes.

No comments: